M36A3 Truck with M1061A1 Utility TrailerAsking$64,000
M36A3 long wheelbase 2 1/2 Ton US Army Truck with living quarters and M1061A1 Utility trailer.
This truck/trailer unit participated in the MVPA AC’12 Alaska/Canada Military Vehicle Convoy in August of 2012. It was customized by the owner/operator, Dennis Boots, Maintenance Officer for MVPA’s TMC ’09 and AC ’12 Convoys. It proved to be an extremely comfortable home in the outback of Canada and Alaska. The following is a description of the work performed in preparation for what was arguably the most rigorous civilian convoy ever conducted. This unit has been to the Arctic Circle and performed flawlessly during the convoy.
2 1/2 Ton US Army Truck
M36A3 (long wheelbase deuce) built in 1993, converted from a cargo truck to an RV in 2011. Included are the following:
- 10,000 lb winch, fresh oil and new control valve installed.
- Cat 3116 Diesel with under 1160 hrs on the hour meter.
- Allison 4 speed automatic transmission.
- Power assisted steering.
- Air over hydraulic brakes.
- The cab has been air conditioned using a new Red Dot commercial unit mounted on the back wall.
- The original military cab seats were replaced with over-the -road truck bucket seats and Bostrom Talladaga Series 915 Air-Ride base units installed. The seats were reupholstered using OD canvas.
- The cab floor has been insulated and commercial area floor mats cut to fit.
- All gauges and windshield wipers work well.
- The cab top was newly installed just prior to the convoy and is an insulated vinyl type.
- 18 1/2″ of frame rail was added to the truck to accommodate the living quarters.
- 2 ea large under-body tool boxes were added at the rear of the frame rail prior to the convoy.
All drive train fluids were drained and refilled (after the convoy) at 1156 hrs with Lucas additive included in the engine giving it a 12,000 mile range before needing fluid changes again. The unit was lubed at this time also. The odometer shows 18,280 miles.
The original 50 Gallon fuel tank remains in place and another 50 gallon military fuel tank has been added immediately behind it. The tanks are connected with a protected fuel line and cut-off valves. Depending on load, a 600 mile range can be expected.
Top road speed should not exceed 52 mph.
The Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) tire inflation system has been removed. The original 14.5 R20 tires were replaced with new 395/85 Goodyear tires prior to the convoy and have less than 10,000 miles on them. The spare has “0” miles on it and is located on the trailer. These tires proved to be excellent road tires and no wear pattern is evident. As a result of this change, the truck is 3 MPH faster than what shows on the speedometer and better gas mileage is experienced. Approximately 275 miles should be added to the odometer.
16 GA steel rock guards were added in front of, over and behind the tires for added protection.
All items used in the construction of this camper were purchased new for installation in this camper. All items installed were of the highest quality. The black water drain valve and 100 gallon black water tank are the only items installed that were originally intended for RV use.
- A 100 gallon poly tank with brass supply and drain valves supply fresh water. There is a 12 volt, 50 PSI pressure pump to pressurize the water system.
- The sink and shower have electric water heaters.
- The sleeping quarters shell was custom built by Morgan Brand Truck Body and installed by them. It is an 18′ model with movers attic over cab.
- The living quarters shell is 5/8″ Fiberglas Reinforced Panel (FRP)side walls, (fiberglass over 5/8″ plywood).
- One piece aluminum top. ( there are NO roof penetrations!)
- 1 1/8″ Mahogany floors. The floors have been coated with polyurethane and are beautiful!
- The following was added by the owner (a carpenter/contractor with 50 years of experience 😉
- 1 1/2″ X 1 1/2″ Canadian Fir studs and 1 1/2″ X 4″ Canadian Fir ceiling joist.
- General Aluminum Brand Tempered, insulated windows with screens, 6 ea.
- 12/3 copper wiring throughout.
- Can lights, under mount fluorescent light below upper cabinet in kitchen, heavy duty side mount
- exhaust fan in toilet area .
- Full extension, 100 # side mount drawer glides on lower cabinet units. All drawer boxes are 1/2″ Baltic Birch.
- Ceramic heater, Frigidaire room air conditioner.
- Under counter Frigidaire refrigerator. Microwave oven.
- 3′ X 3′ X 6′ molded fiberglass one piece shower with Delta handle set.
- 18 GA self rimming Moen Commercial sink with Delta single handle faucet.
- Koehler Hi-rise 2 stage flush home type toilet.
- Spray foam insulation in all walls and ceiling.
- 1″ X 5 1/2″ Knotty Cypress T & G paneling on all walls, ceiling and cabinetry. Stained and sealed .
- The curtains are made of heavy OD canvas, roll-up type with secure straps. These are virtually black-out type and worked very well in the Alaska “midnight sun.”
Storage: 70 Cubic Feet of storage with access door into living quarters, exists in the “movers attic” forward of the upper bunk and over the cab. A vertical 3′ deep X 1′ wide X 8′ high storage unit adjoins the shower wall. Kitchen upper and lower cabinet units. A large wardrobe 4′ wide X 2′ Deep X 4′ High with 6 ea deep drawers below separates the living area from the sleeping quarters.
The 2 bunk mattresses were purchased new for this camper and are Laura Ashley Brand XL size, firm twins with mattress protectors. These are extremely comfortable and proved to be a valuable asset when it came to getting a restful sleep after long rough days on the road in Canada and Alaska. Bedding comes with the unit.
4 ea 12-16.5 LT Power King 6 ply load rated F tires with less than 10,000 miles plus same no mileage spare. These tires were installed new prior to the convoy and show no wear pattern and worked well with no problems during AC ’12 convoy.
10KW Onan Gen Set w/under 155 hrs.
2 ea under mount type storage boxes mounted vertically on deck and 1 ea high mount horizontal tool/storage box.
4 ea 15 gallon Blitz fuel tanks that have been caged for protection, plus hose and nozzles.
1 ea truck spare tire (never used) with 2000 # winch for easy access.
Open deck area accepts all military 1/4 ton jeeps from WWII thru Vietnam, deck has tire guide and stop, tie downs plus 2 ea 10′ aluminum ramps. Ramps mount under wheeled cargo (Jeep in photo) and lock in place.
This trailer pulled easily behind the M36A3 throughout the 9,100 AC ’12 Convoy and trip to and from Texas to Dawson Creek BC, Canada. The combined length of the truck/trailer is approximately 50′. Both the truck and trailer are titled in Texas, have current license and are insured.
From the Seller
I personally built this rig especially for the MVPA AC ’12 Convoy to provide my wife and myself comfortable living quarters during the nearly 2 months we were gone…it more than lived up to our expectations.
Whether you are a camper, outdoorsman, preper or military vehicle buff, you will never find a better built, more comfortable, more military appearing RV.
There are no warranties with this sale and all sales are final.
Note: The M151 jeep in photos is not included in the sale.
Located in Denton, Texas.