1944 Amphibious Military DUKW by GMCAsking$94,000
This DUKW is the most original in the world. It was found in Pontiac Michigan at a GM storage warehouse and was place in storage in 1948. It remained in the same warehouse until 2004. This GMC DUKW was never issued to the US Government and was used by GM for radio testing, service manual photos and general vehicle deployment.
This original vehicle has no field modifications. For example, the bed side pockets were never cut out to accommodate the 105mm Howitzer, and the side hat channels were never cut out to permit water drainage. This DUKW has never left Michigan and never seen salt water.
All new seals, bellows and gaskets in the drive train have been replaced. The engine runs quiet & strong. No lifter noise – it runs like new. The DUKW goes down the road very nice on new tires. Original bilge pumps in working order. All the lights work & it is street legal to go from road to water. The winch operates perfectly, and it is a real pleasure to drive & swim. All original air inflation hubs in working order.
This is the most original WWII DUKW left in the world – complete with anchor and all tools.
- Manufacturer: Yellow Truck and Coach Company
- Production year: 1944
- Engine: GMC over-head-valve,270-cid, 94-hp, liquid-cooled, in-line six-cylinder, gasoline
- Length: 31 feet
- Width: 8 feet, 2-7/8 inches
- Height: 10’ 3” feet, Ring Mount
- Weight: 14,880 pounds
- Armament: Browning M2 .50 cal “fake”. machine-gun on an M36 truck mount
- Maximum Speed, Road: 45 mph
- Maximum Speed, Water: 6.3 mph
The GMC DUKW – 353 was developed in 1942 in accordance with a directive by the Commanding General, Services of Supply. The directive called for a vehicle that could transport personnel and supplies from ships to beaches without the benefit of prepared harbors and docks. The designation DUKW came from the builder’s code:
- K=All wheel drive
- W=Twin rear wheel axles
The average GI simply referred to the vehicle as the “Duck”. The pilot model was so successful that it was immediately put into production after testing. On land the DUKW used its normal six-wheel drive, but in the water, it was propelled by a propeller and steered by a rudder. The wheels and propeller could operate together for smoothly entering and exiting water. DUKWs participated in all major US amphibious operations from March 1943 until the end of World War II. The cargo compartment could accommodate 25 troops and their equipment or 5,000 pounds of supplies. Lend- Lease DUKWs were also provided to the British and Soviets. Over 21,000 DUKWs had been manufactured by late 1945
Located in Fenton, Michigan.
$94,000 USD or best offer.